Be a Part of the New World Record
If you are a SUP enthusiast who can be in the New York City area on Thursday August 12th, you can paddle into New York City with Tom Jones as he sets a new World Record. This is your invitation to paddle with Tom Jones on the final leg of his 1500-mile world-record standup paddle. The paddle will be from the Coney Island Pier to the North Cove Marina in Battery Park on the morning of Thursday 8/12.
Participants will paddle with Tom and K38 Water Rescue expert Marta along with national and local news reporters covering Tom’s arrival. The last few miles up the river to Battery Park will be accompanied by a fireboat in full spray mode. Participation in this truly unique SUP event requires only a tax-deductible $99 donation to Plastic Free Ocean and includes the public and media reception for Tom and Plastic Free Ocean in Battery Park hosted by Wyndham and the Mayor’s office.
Here’s what participants need to know:
- Distance is 13.5 miles paddling with the incoming tide – about 3½ hours of paddling.
- This is NOT a race, but you must be able to maintain a steady pace to stay together for arrival as a group about 10AM.
- “You will need someone to drop you off at the Coney Island Pier parking lot at 5:30AM on Thursday 8/12, and to pick up you and your board at the corner of South End Avenue and Liberty Street. This location can be clearly seen on Google Earth or Google Maps. Pick up time will be noon to 1:30 PM.
- For those who just want to attend the public and media reception, the closest parking garage to North Cove Marina is located in the Gateway Plaza building at 345 South End Ave (212-321-2345).
- You will need to show your $99 donation receipt. Go to http://www.plasticfreeocean.org/node/2 and read the simple instructions on how to print out a receipt. Then just click on the DONATE NOW button in the upper right corner of the web page to use credit card or PayPal to contribute $99. Print out your receipt and bring it to the event. The list of $99 contributions will help us know how many paddlers to expect, but if you just can’t contribute online, we will accept a check or cash donation at the Coney Island Pier.
- You will be required to sign a liability waiver to participate.